Raise your hand if you are the parent of a child who is addicted to Legos and you are desperate to find ANYTHING to organize the mess…..YEP! I thought so. I am not the only one.
This project was realized after going through countless plastic ziploc baggies full of Legos (our only method of Lego organization) while my oldest son pitch a full on “2-year old style tantrum” when he couldn’t find his prized Golden Ninja mini-figure as we were trying to walk out the door. I’m sure this sounds familiar to most parents….
Here was the inspiration I saw on Pinterest:
It looked great but I had some bad experiences using superglue on glass. SO….
I bought these two “awesome” canvas prints at a garage sale – 2 for $7! It was a steal. Little did I think that this is what I’d be doing with them. But hey, you have to use what you got, right?
Here you can see I’ve primed over the canvas painting. It’ll take a few coats to go over something that dark and textured. I’ve also painted the frame a color that goes well with my son’s room. I knew I was going to distress the edges so I used this little technique on how to create your own chalk paint: http://inmyownstyle.com/2012/08/testing-1-2-3-versions-of-chalk-paint.html
If you haven’t heard about chalk paint, you are literally living in a hole. Literally. If you’ve ever tried to distress something using regular paint, you end up so-so results and a really sore arm. Sprinkling in a little Plaster of Paris and water to any paint, you get MUCH better results. I always use a palm sander on my distressing projects. Don’t ask me what grit I used for the sandpaper. It was whatever I could find in my garage. Beautiful results! I painted the inside of the frame a neutral color to match his room.
My son was adamant for me not to use any Legos from his collection so I found these at Wal-Mart for $15. It’s just a generic set of Legos and it had the most 2×2 pieces I could find for the cheapest price tag. You can buy them off the Lego.com website but hey, who has time to wait/pay for shipping?! Right?
After the paint had dried, I superglued the little 2×2 pieces to the canvas. You’ll want to get out your measuring tape to make sure the spacing is all aligned. Also, test it out with a little mini-figure to make sure they’ll all fit verticially without bumping into each other. Mine isn’t perfect. You can see I got a little wonky with the horizontal spacing in the middle sections . Also, you’ll notice on the second to last row, second to last piece, I ran out of 2×2 pieces so I had little angled pieces here and there. But hey, I ain’t no perfectionist. It’ll get the job done 😉
After the superglue had dried, this was my result! My son had a BLAST placing all these on the stands. And, it is now his responsiblity to make sure they are where they’re supposed to be and not under my foot late at night…..